Preparing for your first Male Brazilian Wax
Your first Male Brazilian Wax treatment can seem daunting.
That's totally understandable. Nine times out of ten, a first-timer will come in for a Brazilian Wax only after thinking about it for months or even years. If that sounds like you, don't panic. Countless thousands of men have faced exactly the same inner turmoil.
Assuming that you choose an experienced Male Brazilian Waxing therapist - note that I specified 'Male Brazilians' - your treatment should not be a huge feat of endurance.
Does a Brazilian Wax hurt? Sure. We are pulling hair out of your body. Does it have to hurt excessively? No, definitely not. Some men say that their first Brazilian Wax was nowhere near as bad as they expected, while others carry on like you're pulling a tooth.
But there's a pattern to the different responses, and here are the secrets to preparing for that first Male Brazilian Wax.
Physical preparation for your first Male Brazilian Wax
- Don't trim your hair, and don't shave the genital area for at least three weeks before coming in for your Male Brazilian Wax appointment. We want the hair long enough for the wax to grip, so that we only have to go over each area once, or at most, twice. If you shave or clipper the hair too short, we will end up having to repeat the area several times, or in some cases, pluck the leftovers. So come in au naturel. If you need trimming, your therapist will take care of that on the table.
- Moisturise on the morning of your treatment. Dry or cracked skin will make the treatment far more uncomfortable, as dry skin tries to absorb moisture from any source, including the wax.
Mental preparation for your first Male Brazilian Wax
Some of the advice out there is so wrong it's scary. Let's deal with the bad advice first.
- Take some pain killers or have a glass of alcohol before your treatment. WRONG WRONG WRONG. If you need to take pain killers or get wasted, then you are not in the right frame of mind to receive a Brazilian Waxing treatment. Even if you do take something - especially if you take something - it will hurt. Why? Because you're trying to create a false state of mind. You are attempting to lull yourself into the delusional belief that pain killers will completely eliminate the pain. And when it doesn't, you'll freak out completely. We could pluck a single hair and you'd scream. If you think that you need pain killers for a Brazilian Wax, then don't get one.
- Don't have sex for x amount of days before treatment. WRONG AGAIN. Do it ten minutes before you come in for all we care. Endorphins are great and so is de-sensitised skin.
OK, now for the good advice. Pay attention.
- Don't stress. Whatever it takes, calm yourself down. Take control before you arrive by just telling yourself, "OK, I'm getting this done. It won't tickle but it won't hurt too much if I stay calm". Trust me, the result will definitely be worth it. Whenever I'm performing a Male Brazilian Wax on a first timer, and if I see them getting a touch frantic, I tell them to find a happy place and generally that's enough to help them settle down again.
- Don't surf the web for horror stories. If you go searching for people's tales of Brazilian Waxing tragedies, you'll find plenty. After all, there are a lot of really bad therapists out there, and most of them don't want to do male treatments, so they don't really care if you come back again.
- Don't tell your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend that you're getting a Brazilian Wax - especially if they get waxed themselves. You'll get no support. The best you can hope for is an evil laugh and, "Now you'll know what I have to endure." Others will even want to come into the treatment room so they can maximise their joy at your discomfort. Alas, when you need them the most, even the most loving partner can turn into a banshee from hell. If you do it as a surprise however, you'll find them completely on your side.
If you are looking to book a Brazilian Wax, please call on 07 4926 7778 or book online at Reef Rockhampton.
Alternatively, you will find additional topics on health, fitness, and beauty in the Human Sciences section.
Have a brilliant day,